About Dan Smith
Dan Smith is a clergy member of the Pacific Northwest Conference of the United Methodist Church. In addition to serving as a pastor of congregations, he served as Director of Connectional Ministries in his conference and served twice as a District Superintendent. Receiving training as a personal coach, he now holds credentials as a Professional Certified Coach with the International Coach Federation.
Dan has now coached over 100 pastors in the US and Canada with a special interest in working with pastors leading change in their congregations. As a consultant with churches engaged in renewal and as an avid researcher of emerging theories regarding change processes, he continues to bring fresh material to workshops and training events.
With a passion for seeing congregations and it leaders thrive, Dan brings to his work:
- The awareness that a majority of struggling, declining congregations are located in communities where the people more urgently than ever before need for their lives to be impacted by the gospel message;
- The awareness that many of our recently thriving congregations have become complacent about their future and are on the brink of moving into decline;
- The strong belief that renewal is possible both for churches in decline and churches on the brink of decline;
- The belief that congregation renewal has to begin with the renewal of the members, rather than beginning with adding new programs and ministries;
- The conviction that member renewal begins with reconnecting with an understanding of the basic mission and purpose of church and nurturing a passion to carry out that mission and purpose in the community where the congregation is located;
- The belief that congregational renewal requires leaders, clergy and lay, who understand the process of renewal and leaders who have been trained and equipped to lead this process in their congregations.
Committed to congregational renewal and believing it is possible, Dan brings his personal passion to training and supporting clergy and laity as they lead their congregations in the renewal process.
Dan has coauthored Pathway to Renewal: Practical Steps for Congregations, Practicing Right Relationship, and Redeveloping the Congregation, and is a contributor to When a Congregation is Betrayed.